Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year's!


This recipe is my New Year's gift to you. I first made this a couple of years ago after finding the recipe on The Homesick Texan's blog. I made it again yesterday for today and oh, my gosh, it is good. Due to exigent circumstances (laziness), I used the beef stock I had on hand and left out the bacon grease. It still rocked.

A bonus is that whenever a recipe calls for bacon grease, I think of my mom's molasses cookies. She used a little bacon grease in place of some of the shortening and it gave them a wonderful flavor.



New Year’s Day Good Fortune Soup (adapted from Gourmet)
Ingredients:
1/2 pound of collard greens, stems removed and chopped
1/2 pound of cooked ham, diced
2 15 oz. cans of black-eyed peas (can use fresh or frozen as well)
1 small onion, diced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large carrot, diced
5 chipotle chiles chopped
1 can of Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 teaspoon of thyme
4 cups of chicken broth
2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
A pinch of sugar
2 tablespoons of bacon grease (can use olive oil or vegetable oil if you prefer)
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1. In a large pot, cook the onion and carrots in the bacon grease on medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until onions start to turn golden. Add the garlic and cook for three more minutes.
2. Add to the pot the collard greens, vinegar, sugar, ham, chicken stock, chipotles, Ro-Tel tomatoes and thyme, and bring pot to a boil and then simmer for half an hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Take one can of black-eyed peas, and roughly mash with a fork. Add these and the other can of black-eyed peas to the pot.
4. Continue to simmer soup for another 45 minutes.
Serves 6-8
Note: If you don’t want to use pork, that’s fine, but don’t replace the pork with chicken if you’re going to eat this on New Year’s Day. Why? Well, they say eating chickens is a no-no since the birds scratch backwards. I know, I know, I’m not really superstitious, but might as well not take any chances!

Shorty says that this is the only black-eyed pea recipe that I have ever made that didn't taste like dirt. Happy New Year's everyone and may God continue to bless us everyone.

4 comments:

Sayre said...

Oooo... that sounds GOOD! I need to save this one!

Princess Jewelee said...

yum!!!!

Pamela said...

I don't know where in the world to find collard greens around these parts. haha.

I'm sorta a halfway vegetarian.. so I might try it with textured vegetarian protein.

Hey... what could I use if no collard greens available?

Sandy said...

Pamela, I'm sure you could use canned turnip greens or probably even spinach. I have made it without meat and it is just as good.

 
Myanderings - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords