Friday, August 10, 2007

1st day of school

As noted in my profile, I am a grandmother. It has been a long time since any of my babies started school. I was visiting MamaDrama last week and Heather does have a little one starting, if not school, pre-pre-school. The effect is the same - your baby is not with you.





http://blogs.chron.com/mamadrama/archives/2007/08/feeling_anxious.html





When my oldest daughter started kindergarten (long enough ago that the kids didn't go to pre-school), I was fine. She was independant and ready to go and I had a 2 year old at home to occupy me. She started school without any drama at all.





Fast forward 3 years - my younger daughter was ready for kindergarten. I got her dressed and got all of her school supplies. She was excited and ready to go and ready to leave me. I was excited and ready for her to go and ready for her to leave me.





Or so I thought.





She got out of the car and skipped - yes, skipped - into the schoolroom right behind her big sister. I sat in the car and sobbed. I finally got myself together enough to drive home.





I called my mother to cry on her shoulder - and I started to. I got as far as "my baby's started kindergarten" when my mother, who never ever cursed and who washed my mouth out with soap when I was 30-something for saying "damn" in front of her, called me a bitch.





I was speechless. I finally asked her what the heck she meant and she told me to suck it up. She wasn't doing any better than I was because her "baby's baby was starting kindergarten."





I sucked it up. Sometimes that's the best advice you'll ever get. Feel free to share it.





No comments:

 
Myanderings - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords