Wednesday, June 6, 2007

plain old English, please

From the Reuters oddly enough file:

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSPEK15486420070606?feedType=RSS

"Linguists are struggling about the best way to translate popular dishes like "ants climbing the tree" -- spicy fried vermicelli with finely chopped pork -- into English accurately yet preserving the original meaning, officials have said."

I confess to being confused. I love Oriental food - Chinese, VietNamese, Laotian, etc. I, having been a cross-country truck driver, have eaten Oriental food in at least 43 states of this Union. One of my favorite restaurants, albeit without truck parking, is the Great Wall in Ruidoso, NM. My all time favorite dish there, and one that I have ordered more than once, is....

TAAAAA DAAAAAA

"ants climbing the tree".

So, I guess my question for the linguists is - what's wrong with a good old translation?

No comments:

 
Myanderings - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords