Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tell Laura I Love Her- Ray Peterson


I had the television on in the background this evening while I worked and this song came on. This song used to make me cry when I was a teenager, sob when I was in my early 20s, and now that I am older, it belongs to one of my funny/sad memories.

As most of you know, my first husband died in a car accident when he was 26 and I was 20. We were in a Ford Mustang and the car that hit us was an Olds Toronado. To this day, I will not own a Mustang, nor will I willingly get into one. I just can't breathe.

Anyway, months after my husband died, one of my best friends, Helen, called me up to ask me to a movie. I am pretty sure that my mom put her up to it, but I can't vouch for that. I said yes and Helen came to pick me up.

She pulled up out front in her snazzy little Mustang. I just couldn't get into it. Helen went home and got her parents' big old Park Avenue, for which I thanked her immensely. I got in the car and this song was playing. I started crying and Helen changed the radio station.

There must have been an oldies revival that summer because "Deadman's Curve" by Jan and Dean was on the next station. I kept crying and Helen changed the radio station.

"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro was on the next station. I kept crying and Helen changed the radio station.

"Leader of the Pack" by the Shangri-La's was next. I kept crying and Helen gave up. We decided that the universe had it in for me that night and that we would try again another day. God bless her, we did try another day and went to a movie (in her parents' car).

Now, when I hear one of those songs, I do not just remember my husband's untimely death. I remember my girlfriend's love, empathy, and patience - and I smile.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

I loved this post. You have been so busy this past month!!

 
Myanderings - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords