Friday, January 11, 2008

Picky Eater's Pasta

Picky Eater's Pasta


Ingredients:


1 lb spaghetti, uncooked

2 boxes chicken broth

2 T bacon grease or olive oil

1 small onion, diced

1 large carrot, diced

6 cloves garlic, peeled and diced

1/2 lb bacon (Cut into bite-sized pieces) or pork or sausage or whatever your family will eat or nothing.

Pour broth into saucepan and heat just to boiling. Turn down heat and keep warm.

In large pan (I use my Calphalon everyday pan for this) brown the bacon if that is what you are using. Then remove the bacon and save the grease in the pan. In the same pan, saute onion, carrot and garlic until onions are translucent. At this point you can add the meat back in and mix well. I have made this without meat and it also works REALLY well.

Now, add the spaghetti. Do not break it or cook it or try to do anything with it at this point. Just put it in the pan and let it sort of brown a little bit and absorb whatever grease is still in the pan. Then add two ladles full of the already heated broth. In just a couple of minutes, the pasta will start to soften. Stir.

Add another ladle full of broth and stir well. Wait until the liquid is almost completely absorbed and add another ladle.

Repeat this until the broth is almost completely gone. As the pasta cooks, it makes the most amazing, creamy sauce. There is a whole long explanation about starches breaking down and carbs decomposing and a bunch of other stuff like that but I think it is just plain magic.


This is my version of a recipe I saw on Rachael Ray. Hers had wine and fresh herbs and then she put beans on it but by the time I made it the next day, this is all that I remembered and, gosh, it turned out just fantastically!

My daughter, who has seldom tried a new food and liked it, LOVES this.

10 comments:

For the Love... said...

I think I might be able to get my picky eaters to try this...Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy and it is making me hungry!

Princess Jewelee said...

Yummy yummy yummy in my tummy. Now i want to go out and cook it, not fair, i have to go to work instead.

Thanks for the receipe.

Anonymous said...

That sounds really, really good! Actually, it sounds just like how risotto is made. I think you're right, it's probably got to do something with carbs chemically reacting blah blah blah, but it's magic makes it sound so much more yummy!

I'm going to try this (maybe tonight, since I have to swing by Target on the way home anyway!)

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Sounds good!

Hallie
http://wonderfulworldofweiners.blogspot.com/

Sandy said...

It really is good and Catwoman, it is cooked exactly like risotto. Good call.

ChrisB said...

now that would be just right for embee some of his favourite foods are in that recipe!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Looks good, but I must comment on your fur babies-they are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

This sounds good. I will have to try it out.

By the way, funny you should ask the question about red sky at night and red sky the next morning. I viewed a beautiful red sunset last night and drove to school this morning looking at a beautiful red sunrise....the weather today was cool and clear!

Pamela said...

oh boy. now I need a dinner invitation.

 
Myanderings - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords