Saturday, January 17, 2009

Reinvention

One of my friends, Laurie, is currently wondering about reinvention. I am about to embark on a new tangent and it occurred to me that I never reinvent myself. God reinvents me. I just need to let life happen.

I found myself unemployed last year and, after searching for employment in the fields that I thought I would enjoy and/or for which I was qualified, I fell back on my ultimate backup plan. I applied at the local megastore and was hired as a door greeter. Yep, my worst fears realized. A door greeter.

Surprise! I loved this job. I also was quickly offered full time employment rather than the part time for which I was hired. I was then quickly offered, at an increase in pay, a sales position, which I accepted.

Fast forward to last week. I was offered a position in the pharmacy at another increase in pay, with the possibility of advancement. I am now "moving on up" and am enrolling this week at the local college for certification as a pharmacy tech.

So, my advice for my friend? I have none. Everything I ever planned turned to garbage and everything I ever did out of necessity or just on a whim turned out splendidly. Sometimes we just need to let life happen. I know that's not real comforting but that's all I've got. And Laurie, I had never worked retail until I was 54. I guess us old dogs (or those of us who need to buy dog food) CAN learn new tricks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job with increased pay!

Junebug said...

That is so promising!

Pamela said...

your post gave me hope!

laurie said...

this is a great thing for me to read. i have always lived my life with the philosophy that when a door opens, i should go through it. opportunities come along and you don't always know where they'll take you, but you know that you should find out.

excellent post for me to read now.

thank you.

the rotten correspondent said...

I love this post. You really never know what's going to happen, do you? And even though it's scary, the possibilities are absolutely endless.

Congrats on all your promotions.

 
Myanderings - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords