Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Anti-non-specificity


I must confess. I am about to drag out my soapbox. Yes, Julie, you can sigh now.



I read a great many Memorial Day posts. The unanimous sentiment was gratitude for those who gave their lives in the service of their country.



There were also a great many bloggers and even more commenters who, while thanking the servicemen who died and their families, also decried war and declared themselves "anti-war".



No sane person wants war. I do not think, however, that one can be categorically "anti-war". There is always a battle worth winning, be it for freedom of religion or for freedom from tyranny or for life itself. If you are against the current war in Iraq, just say so. If you actually are against all wars, categorically and without exception, I stand in awe of your certainty.



Otherwise? Please just have the courage to stand up for your convictions and be aware that words count. Say what you mean.



Thanks.



5 comments:

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

Yay for Sandy! I like you on your box.

The Park Wife said...

We all need a soapbox sometimes,well, I guess that is what my whole blog is, hehe.

Anyway, I am so tired of hearing people whine about the war in Iraq and being demeaning to our soldiers. These people have COURAGE to fight for something that is bigger than themselves, how many times a day do many people do something that is that selfless (denying yourself Starbucks does not count)?

Of course no one likes war, but it is happening and going to continue to happen, the question is, how are we going to respond to it? I for one am proud to be an American and have lost someone close to me that loved this country and put his life on the line for it. I will not let his life be in vain. So, all of you who want to whine about the war, get up and do something about it. Write the President, stop buying gas, or hey, here is an idea, find a young mother who's husband is deployed and take her in as part of your family.

I am with you Sandy in that people should stand up for their convictions and with that, we should ACT on them, do something, anything, not just whine about it.

Oh, I think I got on the soapbox after you! Thanks for letting me ramble.

The Park Wife

Irish Coffeehouse said...

He, he... exactly why I couldn't bring myself to post anything. I'm afraid I'd be too saddened by the comments.

Kudos to you! You rock!

Princess Jewelee said...

***SIGH***

Sayre said...

Amen, sister.

 
Myanderings - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords